Raison d'etre

So I just got back from the Radical Unschooling weeklong blowout by the beach on Salt Spring Island in BC (thank you Craig & Gillian--you guys rock!) and the whole experience reinforced two of my longest held beliefs:

1. Unschoolers are the coolest people in the universe (with the possible exception of the inhabitants of RufusX in the Ig!ntz galaxy who truly know how to party like its 9,999,999,999)

2. There ought to be a permanent Unschooling Conference Center.

The purpose of this blogspot is to explore the possibility of creating #2 for #1, because after all, unschooling is all about manifesting reality out of dreams.

The Vision


In a nutshell, a permanent, fixed Unschooling Conference Center looks a lot like summer camp for adults, with everything parents might need to raise their children in freedom.

It might contain:

1. A large wooded tract of land with access to a pond/river/stream/lake, and not too far from a major airport.

2. A main conference center building

3. cabins and dormitory accommodations

4. a large communal kitchen, cafeteria, vegetable garden

5. an art barn with enough room to accommodate our creative passions, including, but not limited to: candle making, finger painting, tie-dye, mecha construction, pottery, welding, beer making, glass making (for the beer, of course, eh?), etc.

6. Gaming Center, Media Center, Library, Music Studio, Pirate Ninja dojo...

...and whatever else we imagine it ought to have.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Self-sustaining

Could such a place be self-sustaining (I see several business models, what do you see?)?

10 comments:

Ren Allen said...

Yes...definitely.
I would prefer to farm.

kelli said...

What about seminars given to people who want to learn more about unschooling. The people who attend might not even live there but it could be open to others to come and attend a seminar, possibly given by persons who live there. That could be a possible income?

dharmamama said...

I wonder if every unschooler was doing their dream job, if that could generate enough income? For me - reiki, energetic healing, and drum circles. For someone else - computer design. So we'd be a village of services that people would come to.

OR - we could also be a retreat center, charge for use of the space, etc.

dharmamama said...

You know what? I'm just remembering that a friend had a similar dream, before she moved. Her idea was more about the services offered, and her plan for the kids was a democratic/free Sudbury school. (not a radical unschooler) BUT her idea for the space was a healing center - it seemed that so many of the moms in our circle were into that way of life. We were going to offer reiki, chiropractic care, accupuncture, massage, yoga classes (all skills the moms in our group had!) - and every so often we'd offer classes, either a series of classes, or one night deals.

Pittsburgh Midwife said...

Yes, I think it's quite possible. Everyone has something to bring to the table to offer. Then there is the idea that has been mentioned about offering retreats, classes and so on.

Alex Polikowsky said...

I am with Ren! We already got the cows!
Read milk, cheese, ice-cream, butter, sour cream, yogurt...

Ren Allen said...

Have you looked at The Farm? I wouldn't want it to be run like theirs,but it is a good model for sustainable business practices and such.
No commune pleez. I'm afraid of the Kool-aid.;)

~Katherine said...

No commune? I understand fear of head gurus and kool-aid. So that's a couple of "no's" but the idea of a permanent community living there has distinct possibilities.

I have more to say and I'll save it for tomorrow. Karl is tired and I'm going.

~Katherine

~Katherine said...

Self sustaining sounds like a lot of things as long as folks are interested in doing it.

Making food and gardening is certainly sustaining in lots of ways. I have been able to nurture a cherry tomato this year with all I've got going on at the moment and I wish I could have done more. I'm in the last week of my last class as we speak.

One of my fondest dreams is building cob with a bunch of people just because I love to work with clay. It doesn't even need to be a building per se. It could be making a cob oven to start with and then going on from there if others are interested. That's something that could make space while healing/appealing to the heart. It could be a funshop. Definitely. I would be learning along with everybody else. I've read Ianto Evan's bible on cob and that's as far as I've gotten but I look to go more someday somewhere.

People living there and providing or maintaining space for talking about and having seminars would be vital.

I'm in SC but hey I'd come to TN in the drop of a hat even though I'm not living there and only visiting (a lot I hope).

Unknown said...

I live close to a community that makes its main income from hosting events. There are about a dozen permanent or semi-permanent residents who also garden, raise goats, and publish a small magazine. The catch is the place is paid for - the resident community really only have to pay for their own needs, no mortgage (and solar, so no electric bills). Its also been established as a community for forty years, so a Lot of the bugs have been ironed out in that time (like the mortgage, which was ultimately paid via donations).

The other communities in my neighborhood aren't "paid for" and all have some kind of "rent" situation for the residents to cover the mortgage and electric, in addition to income from the community/land itself. Not so much "income sharing" as "expense sharing" if you see what I mean. The newest of them is about ten years old.